Friday, September 11, 2009

New blogsite, new start...

So maybe most of you have noticed that I have not been the best blogger. I rarely update, and frankly, I bored myself with my own entries. But I hope all of that is behind me and that I will have more to contribute to put a little smile on the faces of my family and friends who might actually come to my site every once-in-a-while.
One of the main reasons for the new blogsite is because I can't remember the address and password to login to the old one. Believe me I tried, but apparently it's been so long since I've viewed the darn thing that it no longer even recognizes my email address. And, apparently (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I have to have a gmail account now to have a blog. So, I also have a new email address. Don't worry, I am still keeping my old one, but for any of you who are interested, the new one is loganimocek@gmail.com
I am looking forward to taking a nap this afternoon, if Gabe crashes before Jada gets home because I didn't get the quality beauty sleep I prefer last night. Colata had a horrible toothache last night and was just miserable, and I felt so bad because there was NOTHING I could do to make the pain go away. Usually with kids, there is something you can do, at least in the way of comfort and hugs and loves to help ease the pain and misery of a sick child, but a spouse is sometimes much harder to "make better". The only thing I ended up doing was to sleep in the kids room when Gabe woke up in the middle of night, instead of crowding my bed with a child who might possible kick you in the face as he tosses and turns to find a good sleeping position.
I sent Colata off to the dentist this morning and hope that when he returns, he will only be suffering from a numb mouth full of Novocaine and not a mouth full of sensitive teeth.
I also decided this will be the venue I use to discuss the books I am reading and to keep track of the books that I have read recently. I read so much that when I try to recall a title of author of a book, many times I get frustrated because I can't remember them all.
This last weekend (the first one of my husband returned from his internship) I took advantage of a two-parent household and spent the whole evening and the wee hours after midnight reading a book in one sitting. It was Chalice by Robin Mckinley. Most of her fiction is for Young Adults (YA) and is in the fantasy realm. I thought the concept and story had alot of potential and the characters made me want to keep reading, but it at times seemed a little convoluted and at times when you craved more attention to detail, I found that it lacked some depth. But overall it was a quick read, and it ended with the possibility for a sequel, though I haven't googled to see if that is something Robin Mckinley is pursuing. Anyway, the main character, Mirasol is a beekeeper who lives in a cottage in the woods. She has just become the demesne's Chalice, who, though not really explained exactly what role the "Chalice" plays, it is described that she is technically the second in command to the master and that her role is largely symbolic in meetings of politics, but also that she is revered for her abilities and ties to the earth and in protecting the delicate balance of the earth and the humans who live in her demesne. I love how the bees, a seemingly ordinary thing, take on this extraordinary position in the story and weave the theme of nature being so closely tied to the humans around them. I wanted to learn more about the priests of fire and other elements, but felt that was superficially dealt with, and was a little upset with the "cope-out" ending with the Master priest of fire being becoming wholly human again and getting his happy ending with Mirasol. It felt like to me that the ending was so quick and sudden that it left me a bit flabbergasted that Ms. Mckinley would end the book like that. Let me tell ya that I was a little disgruntled that I stayed up til 2am only to be disappointed and baffled by the poorly written ending. I thought the ending was a nice draft, but that's just it, it felt like a first draft... not that final draft.
Currently I just started the series "The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials". I will write more when I have actually finished the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment