Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Year, a new family goal

Every new year, our family has the tradition of setting some family and personal goals (NOT resolutions). We talk about what we know will happen during the year (such as Colata graduating from school) and things we need to work on (ie Jada being obedient the first time she is asked to do something and not the fifth) and then we try to come up with a theme that will help us achieve our goals.

So, the family theme is one taken from Spencer W. Kimball "Do it. Do it right. Do it right now." It is very fitting for us as a family and for me personally. We are trying not to focus too much on things that are out of our control, but more on the things that are within it.

So that's about it for now. I have lots of things I am personally working on, that will always be a work in progress, such as eating right and exercise. This time, I have a friend who is coming along for the journey, and it is really great to have someone to talk to and confide in who is going through the same things I am. We are also going to do a 5k run next Saturday. I know, I know, we haven't even trained properly for it, but this way, we will get our "base" rate, and hopefully improve from there. The organization that is running the 5k has events every month at the same park, so we plan on doing one every month. On Earth day, they have an half-marathon. I don't know if I'll be ready for it, but it will be a good goal to set to get there (I think that Earth day is in April) I am hoping that since I have something to work towards in the exercise department, I will be more consistent because I won't want to go slack and hurt myself trying to do it when I am not ready or prepared.
I am also doing Weight Watchers. I really like the program, because you don't have to sacrifice any of the foods you love, you just learn how to eat it without overdoing it. The key to being successful with WW is writing everything you eat down and going to meetings every week. If you get lazy with your writing, you stop losing the LBS. Another thing that I am doing to help me stay on track, is that I have a "food" notebook that I plane my weekly meals in. Then I go shopping according to that list. Also, it really helps me during the day. When I wake up, I check what's for dinner and pull out items out of the freezer if necessary and dinner is much quicker. I learned that if I don't know what I am making for dinner before lunch, I am more likely to make something processed and junk and i snack and nibble a lot more because I am so hungry and dinner isn't ready yet. The other change I have made that I am hoping will help me is that I won't have any sweets in the house. If anyone in the family is wanting ice cream or cupcakes etc, we will just go to the store and buy a single serve. It can seem a little pricey, but it is a lot better for me because if a whole box of oreos is in the house i can't keep my hands off them. So those are the things I am "doing, and (hopefully) doing right, and I am doing right now." If anyone out there has any more suggestions, I will be glad to hear it!
I hope everyone out there in cyberspace has a great new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment