Monday, March 8, 2010

The influence of music on being a Peacemaker...

Music, we all know has a profound impact on our moods. For me, when I am running on the treadmill and trying to improve my time, I need fast paced beats and music that is fun and seems to keep my feet moving up and down. But if a slow song is thrown in the mix, it throws off my pace and my motivation, and I seem to stutter and lose the "endurance" factor, and have to slow down and take a breather. I don't know why that is, but the music impacts my "will power" to keep going.
And tonight, after FHE, I was looking at the LDS.org site and while I was just "looking around" I came across the music site which led me to find a song that won the Award of Distinction for 2009. It was a submission by Sally Deford (I love her music and arrangements) and went to her site to listen to it right away. The song was beautiful, and as I was listening to it, the mood in the house changed. I wasn't even trying to change the mood, it seemed fine to me, but It brought the noise level down, and Jada started doing a beautiful interpretive dance and Gabe came and sat next to me just to listen to it. We listened to it about 5 times.
Even though the song has long stopped playing, the mood in the house has lingered, and I can't help but be encouraged that good, beautiful music that invites the Spirit, also invites and helps me be the peacemaker I need to be. So, if you are struggling with being a peacemaker, put on your favorite church song, or hymns or arrangement, and let the spirit of that song take hold of you, and I bet that you will not be able to help the peace and love you bring to your home because of that Spirit that you feel.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way music can change people's moods too.

    When we lived on our old property, we lived near highway 9 in Marysville. Every summer around July, these people would get together and party late at night, at a place on the other side of highway 9. They listened to horrible, (what I like to call) gothic Satan music and they blasted it so loud I could hear the words to the songs. Every time I heard their music, the spirit would leave and I felt so evil inside. They would party pretty much every year and it wasn’t something I looked forward to. It made me realize that something as simple as music could really affect someone’s attitude. That’s why I can’t stand yelling music or rap.

    Last night, I was listening to some beautiful music and it made me feel so happy inside, it almost me cry.

    ReplyDelete