Monday, February 22, 2010

Blessed are the Peacemakers....

Yesterday, my Bishop challenged me and the rest of the Young Women and the leaders to be peacemakers in our families and homes for the next month. We are not to let anyone in our families know that we are doing this, as this might ruin the experiment. I am taking this seriously, and am trying really hard to put out the "fires" of contention that arise.
I started to notice yesterday afternoon how much our words and the way we say things to our loved ones can cause hurt feelings or contention.
One disagreement occurred between Colata and Jada, and it was about "how" to do something. No one was wrong, and each opinion had value, though, they were arguing about who had the better idea. They turned to me asking me to pick a side, and I diplomatically pointed out the value of both of their ideas. I also made a conscious effort to not become impatient and to use kind and respectful words when I needed or wanted something. In return, I got the same responses back.
Today, I don't think there was any contention in the home at all. No arguments to dispel or tempers flaring. Though Gabe needs to learn how to have nicer hands after he is told "no". But he also said "please" when he wanted something and "your welcome" after he received it (he gets "thank you" and "your welcome" backwards) I hope this journey will continue, and I hope that I will become a better person by being more conscientious of my influence of peace in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment