Thursday, February 4, 2010

running woes.

So as a first time runner, I have come across some hard times these last few weeks. It has limited my ability to actually train for my next 5k. I am not quite sure exactly what happened, because I was feeling great, then got the flu (aches, pains, stomach bug) and was flat out for a couple of days, and then, when I went to get back into my routine, I felt better, except when I ran, I felt like I still had the flu in my lower legs. I tried pushing through the pain, and did it for a week thinking that it would eventually work it's way out, but it didn't. So I did some internet research and thought maybe I had shin splints or runner's knee, and both prescribe me to not run until the inflamation has gone down. So instead I have been cross-training, doing swimming and the eliptical, suprisingly, all this week, no pain in my legs. So My next 5k is in a week and a half, and I am going to start slowly jogging again tomorrow. If there is no pain, I will continue to slowly get back to my running. If not, I think I will have to go see a doctor and see if there is anything else I can do to help me out of this tragedy.
Any runner's out there with any advice for this novice?

No comments:

Post a Comment