Sunday, February 14, 2010

My 2nd 5k race...


Ran my 2nd race yesterday. I was a little bit more nervous this time around. Funny, huh? I think it was because I had something to live up too... my previous time. What if I did worse than before? What if I tripped, or it rained or something crazy like that? Well, the nervousness was for nothing, though it did start to sprinkle before I finished the race, but it was a blessing because I was getting warm with my scarf on. I finished at a personal best time of 35:00mins exactly, and I didn't think I would do so well. I was hoping for at best 36:00 or 37:00mins. I was running with my iPod on, so when I passed the first mile marker, and I thought I saw the race volunteer mouth something that looked like (10mins) meaning I had just run a 10 min mile, I thought I must have read his lips wrong, because I have never run a 10 min mile brefore.
Anyway, I think last time I posted about my previous 5k, I had stated that my goal was to run the whole race without walking. I didn't make that goal. I admit, I had to walk a few times, but those recovery walks for me were short and few. So though my time was definitely improved, I think I will keep my goal of trying to run the whole race. That gives me a month to build up my endurance. I think trying to push through those walls that come up and tell me it's time to take a rest will be a better test for me than trying to get an improved time. Though, if that happens, that would be great too.
On a related note, I do most of my training on the treadmill. Though my actual race time is way better than anything I have done on the treadmill so far (my race time beat my treadmill time by a whole minute) mentally, I find it easier to run on a treadmill because I am perfectly aware of how fast I am running, how far I still need to go, and how long I have been running. When I am in the race, I can't tell how fast I am running, and I am never exactly quite sure how far I have come (though there are the occasional markers that will tell you 1mile, 2mile, etc) though, I can check on my watch how long I have been running. I am too busy concetrating on my breathing to try to do the math to calculate my pace. The positive thing about running in the race is that because of the other participants and the lack of knowing pace/distance/time, I set my sights on keeping up with those around me. When I fall behind or pass someone, it helps to push me to do better and to work harder, than when it's just between me and the treadmill.
So I think I mentioned already that my race time was 35mins, and my previous race time was 38:35 or something like that, so that was a full 03:35 min improvement. I will eventually shoot for running the 5k in 30mins, but that just maybe an unattainable goal, but one I will try to get as close as possible too.
Here's to next month's race in March. I hope I am able to run the whole race this time!

1 comment: